Hawaii’s Big Island FAQs
What is the time difference from Australia?
- Hawaii is at GMT-10 hours, the same as French Polynesia. Sydney, Australia is at GMT+10 hours. So 12 Noon on Monday in Sydney is 3 pm Sunday in Hawaii. Hawaii does not observe Daylight Savings Time so add +1 hour during this period each summer.
Where is the main airport on Hawaii’s Big Island?
- Travel to Kona International Airport (KOA) in Kona to the west, or Hilo International Airport (ITO) in Hilo to the east. Most visitors arrive in Kona. There is also the option of flying into Honolulu International Airport (HNL) on Oahu first and then taking a short, 35-40 minute flight to Hawaii’s Big Island.
Do I need a car to get around Hawaii’s Big Island?
- Many visitors enjoy taking guided bus tours to conveniently explore the island. Shuttles, taxis and public transport are also available. We recommend a rental car for flexibility and ease, and we strongly suggest booking before you arrive because quantities can be limited during busy seasons. All the major rental companies are found on the Big Island.
Where are the major hotel and resort areas on Hawaii’s Big Island?
- Major resort destinations on Hawaii’s Big Island include the Kohala Coast, Historic Kailua Village (Kailua-Kona) and Keauhou, both in Kona. There are hotels and accommodation in Hilo and Puna on the east side closer to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. Throughout the island you’ll also find bed and breakfast accommodation, condominiums (apartments), holiday rental homes and cottages, as well as hostels.
Do I need my passport to get to Hawaii’s Big Island?
- You will need a passport to get to Hawaii, unless you are a US citizen (Hawaii is the 50th state of the United States). Learn more about entry requirements here.
What should I pack on my trip to Hawaii’s Big Island?
- It’s warm on Hawaii’s Big Island, so pack your summer clothes. Pack a light, waterproof jacket for hiking or exploring the tropical rainforests of Hilo and the Hamakua Coast and warmer clothes if you plan to visit the uplands of Waimea and the higher elevations of Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. Bring casual dress clothes or resort wear if you plan on experiencing some fine dining. You can buy an Aloha Shirt and thongs (or slippers, as the locals call them) when you get here. Suits and ties are rarely worn here.
What currency does Hawaii use?
- Hawaii's currency is the US dollar. Traveller's cheques aren't necessary since credit cards are widely accepted and ATM machines are plentiful. Don't worry if you forget something. Hawaii's retail stores and malls have everything you need, including plenty of sunscreen.
When is a good time to visit Hawaii’s Big Island?
- Anytime of year is a good time to visit Hawaii’s Big Island. At sea level, the average summer temperature is 29 degrees Celsius, 25.5 degrees Celsius in the winter. Trade winds keep things comfortable year-round. Whale watching season runs from December through to May, with peak whale watching months between January and early April.
What language do they speak in Hawaii?
- The official languages of Hawaii are English and Hawaiian, although Hawaiian is not commonly spoken. Major resort areas often have customer service representatives who speak Japanese.
What are Hawaii’s tipping rates?
- US standards on tipping apply:
Restaurants: 15-20%. Check to see if “gratuity” is included for large parties.
Bar: $.50-$1 US per drink
Housekeeping: $1 US per bed, per night
Luggage porters: $1 US per bag
Doorman: $1 US for calling a taxi
Room Service: 10-15% of the total bill
Taxi: 15% of fare
- US standards on tipping apply:
What is the US area code for Hawaii?
- The area code for the state of Hawaii is (808).
How can I make international calls?
- You can use phone calling cards or credit cards to make international calls. International calling cards are sold in local convenience stores.
Is there Internet access in Hawaii?
- Internet access is readily available in Hawaii. Most resorts and hotels have Internet access.
What is the electrical voltage in Hawaii?
- Electricity in the US is 115/120 volts at 60 cycles (60 Hz) per second. If your device does not accept this voltage, you may need to purchase a voltage converter.
How far is it from Kona International Airport (KOA) to:
How far is it from Hilo International Airport (ITO) to: