What is the time difference from Australia?
- Hawaii is at GMT-10 hours, the same as French Polynesia. Sydney, Australia is at GMT+10 hours. So 12 noon on Monday in Sydney is 3 pm Sunday in Hawaii. Hawaii does not observe Daylight Savings Time so add +1 hour during this period each summer.
Where is the main airport on Lanai?
- The main airport on Lanai is Lanai Airport (LNY). There is no direct service to Lanai from the mainland. Instead, fly to Honolulu International Airport (HNL) or Kahului Airport (OGG) in Maui, where you can connect to several local airlines with service to Lanai Airport. You can also take day trips between Manele Harbor and Lahaina Harbor in Maui through the Expeditions ferry service. There are 5 round-trips daily. Ferry trips take roughly an hour. For more information call (800) 695-2624, (808) 661-3756 or visit www.go-lanai.com.
Do I need a car to get around Lanai?
- The Four Seasons Resort Lanai provides a shuttle service between the airport, ferry terminal, Lanai City and their two resorts. There is no public transport on Lanai so you can rent a car or 4-wheel drive. Make reservations in advance. Taxi services are limited.
Where are the major hotel and resort areas on Lanai?
Do I need my passport to get to Lanai?
- You will need a passport to get to Hawaii, unless you are a US citizen (Hawaii is the 50th state of the United States). Learn more about entry requirements here.
What should I pack on my trip to Lanai?
- The weather on Lanai is regularly warm and dry. Because of its location, the island does not get as much rain as the others. Bring a light jacket since Lanai City sits at nearly 520 metres, where the warmest months reach about 22º C. Temperatures at Manele and Hulopoe Bay are usually slightly warmer.
What currency does Hawaii use?
- Hawaii's currency is the US dollar. Travellers cheques and major credit cards are widely accepted and ATM machines are plentiful. Don't worry if you forget something. Hawaii's retail stores and shopping centres have everything you need, including plenty of sunscreen.
When is a good time to visit Lanai?
- Any time of year is a good time to visit Lanai. Summer is warmer and drier while winter is slightly cooler. Trade winds keep things comfortable year-round. Lanai City sits at nearly 530 metres so it’s noticeably cooler here than it is at the beaches. Whale watching season begins in late November and ends in early May. Peak whale watching months are between January and early April.
What language do they speak in Hawaii?
- The official languages of Hawaii are English and Hawaiian, although Hawaiian is not commonly spoken. Major resort areas often have customer service representatives who speak Japanese.
What are Hawaii’s tipping rates?
US standards on tipping apply:
Restaurants: 15-20%. Check to see if “gratuity” is included for large parties.
Bar: $0.50-$1 US per drink
Housekeeping: $1 US per bed, per night
Luggage porters: $1 US per bag
Doorman: $1 US for calling a taxi
Room Service: 10-15% of the total bill
Taxi: 15% of fare
- US standards on tipping apply:
What is the US area code for Hawaii?
- The area code for the state of Hawaii is (808).
How can I make international calls?
- You can use phone calling cards or credit cards to make international calls. International calling cards are sold in local convenience stores.
Is there Internet access in Hawaii?
- Internet access is readily available in Hawaii. Most resorts and hotels have Internet access.
What is the electrical voltage in Hawaii?
- Electricity in the US is 115/120 volts at 60 cycles (60 Hz) per second. If your device does not accept this voltage, you may need to purchase a voltage converter.
How far is it from Lanai Airport (LNY) to: