What is the time difference from Australia?
- Hawaii is at GMT-10 hours, the same as French Polynesia. Sydney, Australia is at GMT+10 hours. So 12 noon on Monday in Sydney is 3 pm Sunday in Hawaii. Hawaii does not observe Daylight Savings Time so add +1 hour during this period each summer.
Where is the main airport on Molokai?
- The main airport on Molokai is Molokai Airport (MKK). There is no direct service to Molokai from the continental US. Instead, fly to Oahu’s Honolulu International Airport (HNL), where you can connect to local airlines with a service to Molokai Airport. You can also take day trips between Kaunakakai Harbor and Lahaina Harbor in Maui on an interisland ferry service. The Molokai Princess crosses the Kalohi Channel twice a day, once in the morning, once in the late afternoon. Travel time is approximately 90 minutes. For more information visit www.molokaiferry.com.
Do I need a car to get around Molokai?
- There is no public transport on Molokai so it’s best to rent a car. Quantities are limited so make reservations in advance. Taxi services are limited. If you’re planning on heading up to the Kamakou Preserve or the Molokai highlands, a 4-wheel drive vehicle is required.
Where are the major accommodations areas on Molokai?
Do I need my passport to get to Molokai?
- You will need a passport to get to Hawaii, unless you are a US citizen (Hawaii is the 50th state of the United States). Learn more about entry requirements here.
What should I pack on my trip to Molokai?
- Year round temperatures average around 23.9º C so bring your casual clothes. At Molokai’s higher elevations, it can get a bit cooler and wetter so pack a light jacket or jumper for the evenings. If you plan on taking a mule or horseback ride, pack a pair of jeans and sturdy shoes.
What currency does Hawaii use?
- Hawaii's currency is the US dollar. While travellers cheques aren’t necessary, it is recommended that you carry some cash while visiting Molokai since not every storefront takes credit and/or debit cards and ATMs may not be readily available.
When is a good time to visit Molokai?
- The weather in Molokai is pleasant year round. The Hawaiian games of the Ka Molokai Makahiki Festival are held in January and the Molokai Ka Hula Piko in May is a popular event celebrating the birth of the hula. Whale watching season begins in December and ends in early May. Peak whale watching months are between January and early April.
What language do they speak in Hawaii?
- The official languages of Hawaii are English and Hawaiian, although Hawaiian is not commonly spoken. Major resort areas often have customer service representatives who speak Japanese.
What are Hawaii’s tipping rates?
- US standards on tipping apply:
Restaurants: 15-20%. Check to see if “gratuity” is included for large parties.
Bar: $0.50-$1 US per drink
Housekeeping: $1 US per bed, per night
Luggage porters: $1 US per bag
Doorman: $1 US for calling a taxi
Room Service: 10-15% of the total bill
Taxi: 15% of fare
- US standards on tipping apply:
What is the US area code for Hawaii?
- The area code for the state of Hawaii is (808).
How can I make international calls?
- You can use phone calling cards or credit cards to make international calls. International calling cards are sold in local convenience stores.
Is there Internet access in Hawaii?
- Internet access is readily available in Hawaii. Most resorts and hotels have Internet access.
What is the electrical voltage in Hawaii?
- Electricity in the US is 115/120 volts at 60 cycles (60 Hz) per second. If your device does not accept this voltage, you may need to purchase a voltage converter.
How far is it from Molokai Airport (MKK) to: