What is the time difference from the continental US?
- Hawaii follows Hawaii Standard Time (GMT-10 hours), which is 5 hours behind Eastern Standard Time and 2 hours behind Pacific Standard Time. Hawaii does not observe Daylight Savings Time so add one extra hour to the time difference during this period (March through November).
Where is the main airport on Kauai?
- Kauai’s main airport is Lihue Airport (LIH) in southeastern Lihue. Many airlines now offer direct service to Kauai. There is also the option of flying into Honolulu International Airport (HNL) on Oahu first and then heading to Kauai.
Do I need a car to get around Kauai?
- It’s possible to get around Kauai by shuttle, tour bus, taxi or public transportation system, but to really experience Kauai, you should consider renting a car.
Where are the major hotel and resort areas on Kauai?
- There are five major resort destinations on Kauai: North Shore (Princeville), East Side(Coconut Coast), Lihue (Kalapaki), South Shore (Poipu), West Side (Waimea).
Do I need my passport to get to Kauai?
- Since Hawaii is the 50th state, you won’t need to bring your passport unless you’re visiting from outside the United States or traveling to another country after Hawaii.
What should I pack on my trip to Kauai?
- It’s warm on Kauai, so pack your summer attire. You may want to pack a light, waterproof jacket or sweater for the evenings. Suits and ties are rarely worn here.
You also might want to bring a rain poncho for hiking trails in Kauai’s tropical rainforests. Bring some casual dress clothes or resort wear if you plan on experiencing some fine dining. You can buy an Aloha Shirt and flip-flops (or slippers, as the locals call them) when you get here.
Traveler’s checks aren’t necessary since credit cards are widely accepted and ATM machines are everywhere. Don’t worry if you forget something. Kauai’s stores and malls have everything you need, including plenty of sunscreen.
When is a good time to visit Kauai?
- Anytime of year is a good time to visit Kauai. The average temperature ranges between 84 and 69 degrees. Trade winds keep things comfortable year-round. Whale watching season begins in December and ends in May. Peak whale watching months are between January and early April.
What kind of activities do you recommend while on Kauai?
- The Official Kauai Travel Planner (for your free copy call 1-800-262-1400) contains a wealth of information on various activities available on the island including wedding and honeymoon information. You can also browse the Regions, Guidebooks and Experiences section of this website for ideas.
When and where are Sunshine Markets (Farmers Markets) on Kauai?
- Remember to get to the Sunshine Markets a little early, giving you first choice at the fresh fruits and vegetables.
Monday: Koloa Ball Park, Maluhia Road, noon.
Tuesday: Kalaheo Neighborhood Center, 3:30pm; Hawaiian Farmers Market, Hanaleiat Waipa, 2-4pm.
Wednesday: Kapaa New Town Park (near the Armory), 3pm.
Thursday: Kilauea Neighborhood Center, 4:30pm; Hanapepe Town Park (behind the fire station), 3:30-5:30pm.
Friday: Vidinha Stadium parking lot on Hoolako Street in Lihue, 3pm.
Saturday: Kekaha Neighborhood Center, 9am; Christ Memorial Church in Kilauea, 9-11am.
Which beaches have lifeguards on Kauai?
- The following beaches have lifeguards: Kekaha Beach, Salt Pond Beach Park, Poipu Beach Park, Lydgate, Kealia, Hanalei Bay, Haena Beach Park and Kee Beach. We do not advise going to Queen’s Bath because conditions are extremely dangerous.
How can I get hiking/permit information on Kauai?
- Please call the State Parks office at 808-274-3444 where you can obtain a hiking and camping permit for the State parks (Kalalau and Kokee). If you are interested in obtaining a camping permit in one of the County parks, please call the County Parks office at 808-241-4463.
Where can I go bird watching on Kauai?
- For a nominal entry fee, the Kilauea National Wildlife Refuge (at the Daniel K. Inouye Kilauea Point Lighthouse) is a uniquely special setting for bird lovers. Framed by breathtaking views of Kauai’s North Shore, Hawaii’s endangered birds can be seen nesting in the cliffs, including the Hawaiian Gallinule, red-footed boobies, tropicbirds, albatrosses and frigate birds.
How far is it from Lihue Airport (LIH) to:
What is the area code for Hawaii Island?
- The area code for the state of Hawaii is (808).