What is the time difference from the continental US?
- Hawaii follows Hawaii Standard Time (GMT-10 hours), which is 5 hours behind Eastern Standard Time and 2 hours behind Pacific Standard Time. Hawaii does not observe Daylight Savings Time so add one extra hour to the time difference during this period (March through November).
Where is the main airport on Molokai?
- The main airport on Molokai is Molokai Airport (MKK). There is no direct service to Molokai from the continental US. Instead, fly to Oahu’s Honolulu International Airport (HNL), where you can connect to local airlines with service to Molokai Airport. You can also take day trips between Kaunakakai Harbor and Lahaina Harbor in Maui on an interisland ferry service. The Molokai Princess crosses the Kalohi Channel twice a day, once in the morning, once in the late afternoon. Travel time is approximately 90 minutes. For more information visit www.molokaiferry.com.
Do I need a car to get around Molokai?
- There is no public transportation on Molokai so it’s best to rent a car. Quantities are limited so make reservations in advance. Taxi services are limited. If you’re planning on heading up to the Kamakou Preserve or the Molokai highlands, a 4-wheel drive vehicle is required.
Where are the major accommodations areas on Molokai?
- Accommodations on Molokai vary from the oceanfront Aqua Hotel Molokai to rental condos, cottages, and bed and breakfasts in Kaunakakai and Maunaloa.
Do I need my passport to get to Molokai?
- Since Hawaii is the 50th state, you won’t need to bring your passport unless you’re visiting from outside the United States or traveling to another country after Hawaii.
What should I pack on my trip to Molokai?
Year round temperatures average around 75º F (23.9º C) so bring your casual clothes. At Molokai’s higher elevations, it can get a bit cooler and wetter so pack a light jacket or sweater for the evenings. If you plan on taking a mule or horseback ride, pack a pair of jeans and sturdy shoes.
While traveler’s checks aren’t necessary, it is recommended that you carry some cash while visiting Molokai since not every storefront takes credit and/or debit cards and ATM’s may not be readily available.
When is a good time to visit Molokai?
The weather in Molokai is pleasant year round. The Hawaiian games of the Ka Molokai Makahiki Festival are held in January and the Molokai Ka Hula Piko in May is a popular event celebrating the birth of the hula. Whale watching season begins in December and ends in May. Peak whale watching months are between January and early April.
How far is it from Molokai Airport (MKK) to:
What is the area code for Molokai?
The area code for the state of Hawaii is (808).