What is the time difference from the continental US?
- Hawaii follows Hawaii Standard Time (GMT-10 hours), which is 5 hours behind Eastern Standard Time and 2 hours behind Pacific Standard Time. Hawaii does not observe Daylight Savings Time so add one extra hour to the time difference during this period (March through November).
Where is the main airport on Oahu?
- Oahu’s main airport is Honolulu International Airport (HNL). HNL is also Hawaii’s major airport, serving as the entry point for most of Hawaii’s visitors.
Do I need a car to get around Oahu?
- If you’re planning to stay in Waikiki, you can get around by shuttle, tour bus, taxi, or Hawaii’s excellent public transportation system. But to really experience Oahu outside of Waikiki, you should consider renting a car.
Where are the major hotel and resort areas on Oahu?
- Most Oahu resorts and hotels can be found in Waikiki. You can also find one luxury resort in east Honolulu (The Kahala Hotel & Resort), one on the North Shore (Turtle Bay Resort) and one on the Leeward Coast in the Ko Olina Resort area (J.W. Marriott Ihilani Resort and Spa).
Do I need my passport to get to Oahu?
- Since Hawaii is the 50th state, you won’t need to bring your passport unless you’re visiting from outside the United States or traveling to another country after Hawaii.
What should I pack on my trip to Oahu?
- It’s warm on Oahu, so pack your summer attire. You may want to bring a light jacket or sweater for the evenings. Suits and ties are rarely worn here. Bring some casual dress clothes or resort wear if you plan on experiencing Oahu’s nightlife. You can buy an Aloha Shirt and flip-flops (or slippers, as the locals call them) when you get here.
- Traveler’s checks aren’t necessary since credit cards are widely accepted and ATM machines are everywhere. Don’t worry if you forget something. Oahu’s stores and malls have everything you need, including plenty of sunscreen.
When is a good time to visit Oahu?
- Anytime of year is a good time to visit Oahu. The average temperature here is between 75˚-85˚ F. Summer, between April and November is warmer and drier while winter, between December and March, is a bit cooler. Trade winds keep things comfortable year-round.
- Winter is big wave surf season on Oahu’s North Shore with major competitions in November and December. Whale watching season begins in December and ends in May. Peak whale watching months are between January and early April.
How far is it from Waikiki to Oahu’s attractions?
- From Honolulu International Airport to Waikiki 9 miles / 30 minutes
- From Waikiki to Pearl Harbor 11 miles / 30 minutes
- From Waikiki to Downtown Honolulu 4 miles / 15 minutes
- From Waikiki to Polynesian Cultural Center 35 miles / 75 minutes
- From Waikiki to Haleiwa Town (North Shore) 32 miles / 60 minutes
- From Waikiki to Nuuanu Pali Lookout 11 miles / 30 minutes
- From Waikiki to Ko Olina 26 miles / 45 minutes
What is the area code for Oahu?
- The area code for the state of Hawaii is (808).